AnyLogic University supports a new type of activation — server activation. It can be useful in campuses, when you have groups of students attending classes and doing some practice in AnyLogic. This convenient activation mechanism does not require sending e-mails with activation requests no more.
Server activation uses AnyLogic License Server installed on some computer in the campus network. The License Server keeps a track of the number of AnyLogic copies run concurrently and allows you to view and manage AnyLogic usage.
Server activation requires:
- License Server — an application with a web interface — installed on some computer in the campus network.
- One special USB dongle that is used by the Server License. This USB dongle keeps information about available/used licenses and digitally signs generated keys. The dongle is sent to the customer by post on the license purchase.
The server activation mode requires a permanent connection to the server. It works as follows: you register AnyLogic installed on the target computer at the server once. After that AnyLogic on this computer is activated and each time you start AnyLogic it will use one of available licenses from the server. During its work, AnyLogic periodically connects to the server to confirm its status and lock the license. If AnyLogic is closed or gets disconnected from the server, the license is unlocked and can be used by other users.
The server can activate all computers that are in the same network. However, this does not restrict students and professors to use only this particular activation mechanism. Students may continue use AnyLogic at their home computers activated with software activation keys, researchers may continue use their AnyLogic University Researcher copies activated using USB dongles or by activation keys and so on — these AnyLogic copies do not require AnyLogic License Server.
AnyLogic License Server supports Windows only. It can be installed on a server or dedicated PC in the same local network as all AnyLogic clients.
- OS: Windows 7 / Vista / Server 2003 / Server 2008
- RAM: 2GB (4GB recommended)
- CPU: Intel Core i3 or equals (Core i5 recommended)
- USB port
AnyLogic License Server installation requires 120MB of free disk space.
To install Team License Server
- Having purchased the AnyLogic University License with Server activation mode, you will get access to the AnyLogic License Server installation file. Run the installation file (this requires administrator rights, so in case you do not have ones, you may need to run it by double-clicking the file and choosing Run as Administrator from the context menu).
- The installation procedure is typical (please note that you will also need to install the dongle driver), just follow the instructions of the Installation Wizard. You will be asked to specify the HTTPS port number that will be used by the server connection. If the Wizard says that the specified port is not available, please consult network administrator and specify another port number.
- Having finished the installation, you will see the browser opened and asking for the PIN code. The server is activated with a special USB dongle. Please insert this dongle in the USB port of the Server computer and enter the PIN code that you get on purchasing the AnyLogic University license.
License server is installed as Windows Service under a system account.
After the installation the License Server is ready to manage AnyLogic licenses.
The server has the web interface, Server Console. There users may check the server status, number of used keys and update the dongle (this is required on renewing the support services license).
To activate AnyLogic on a target workstation, the user needs to register it at AnyLogic License Server once. Right after that AnyLogic will be activated and can be run — the only thing needed for the successful work is network connection to the License Server.
To register AnyLogic at the AnyLogic License Server
- Start AnyLogic.
- If your AnyLogic is not licensed, you will see AnyLogic Activation Wizard opened. Otherwise (if you are evaluating AnyLogic and want to activate it using the server), open AnyLogic Activation Wizard by choosing Help|Activate Product from AnyLogic menu.
- With the AnyLogic Activation Wizard opened, select Setup a License Server Connection option.
- Set the server connection settings: specify the name of the license server in the AnyLogic License Server field and the number of the port that is used for connecting with the server in the Port field. Please consult your system administrator to get the valid settings. Click Next when finished.
- If everything is OK with the connection, this AnyLogic is registered at the server. The corresponding message is shown on the final page of the wizard.
- Click Finish and start using AnyLogic on this machine.
To work in the registered AnyLogic
- Start AnyLogic.
- AnyLogic automatically requests a license from the server. If everything is OK with the connection and the server has available license, server leases it for AnyLogic on this target computer.
During its work, AnyLogic periodically connects to the server to confirm its status and lock the license. If AnyLogic is closed or gets disconnected from the server, the license is unlocked and can be used by other users.
It may be helpful to get some up-to-date information about the current server status. This can be done by opening the Server Console in the web browser.
Server Console displays information about:
- the server status,
- license information (university name, support end date, etc.),
- license usage (list of current license users),
- section for dongle update used in case of renewing maintenance and support services.
The Console is available at the following address: http://<server name>:<web interface port>
You purchase the AnyLogic University License activated using a Server in the common way. Please contact our Support team at email@example.com to initiate the process.
Having purchased the University License with Server activation, you will receive:
- URL to AnyLogic Team License Server installation file (sent by e-mail).
- USB dongle for the License Server (sent by post).
- PIN code for USB dongle activation (sent by e-mail).
To start using it, install the AnyLogic License Server as described in the Installing Team License Server section.
Having purchased the University License, you automatically get one year of Maintenance and Support Service for free. When this Support Service license gets expired, you may purchase its prolongation in the common way. Please contact our Support team at firstname.lastname@example.org to initiate the process.
Having purchased the renewal, you get the software update file by e-mail. You need to update information on the USB dongle used by the Team License Server.
To renew the Maintenance and Support Service License
- Open the Server Console in the web browser.
- Go to the update dongle section in the bottom of the web page and choose the update file you have received by e-mail using the Choose... button.
- Upload the selected file onto the server by clicking the Upload button.
In 2 minutes the license will be renewed on all target workstations connected to the server.
AnyLogic launched later on will automatically get the updated license information from the server.
How can we improve this article?